Skip to main content

Considering Solitude





Heaven Can Wait 42x42" oil/cold wax on panel © Janice Mason Steeves
Still feeling the effects of my week long home retreat (how long can this feeling last?), I'm thinking about  solitude and it's place in the creative process.   In Paul Tillich's quote, solitude is the 'glory of being alone'.  Solitude is something you choose.  It's different than loneliness.

- In order to be open to creativity, one must have the capacity for constructive use of solitude. One must overcome the fear of being alone. ~Rollo May

As I went into my home retreat a couple of weeks ago, I had many people tell me that they just wouldn't be able to do a home retreat.  "Oh I wish I could do that", was a very common response. Several friends-many of them artists- told me that they thought I was courageous to be alone for a week.  Courage is not spending a week alone and unplugged. Courage is Harry Potter fighting Voldemort to the death. Courage comes from the latin word "cor" meaning heart, which is a common metaphor for inner strength. Courage is having your first solo art show.  Courage is changing directions in your work when you have no idea where you're going or how you're going to do it.  Courage is following your heart no matter where it leads.  Courage is choosing a life in the arts even though it may not pay the bills. It is not spending a week alone.

Ester Buchholz, author of The Call of Solitude, says that "Life's creative solutions require alonetime. Solitude is required for the unconscious to process and unravel problems.  Others inspire us, information feeds us, practice improves our performance, but we need quiet time to figure things out, to emerge with new discoveries, to unearth original answers."

She goes on to say, "The natural creativity in all of us-the sudden and slow insights, bursts and gentle bubbles of imagination-is found as a result of alone time.  Passion evolves in aloneness.  Both creativity and curiosity are bred through contemplation."


The retreat sort of re-booted my awareness of how much I need space or solitude to create.  Space that is created through unplugging and leaving long open-ended days.  I think that the 'rules of engagement' that I set for the retreat can be modified for daily use.  I guess the word is self-discipline.


Buchholz says, "Alonetime is a great protector of the self and the human spirit. Ultimately, we might follow the message of every practiced meditator, who suggests living each moment as a new moment, with greater sensitivity to one's thoughts, feelings, and physical sensations. That is the real message of alonetime, and it is through that profound self-awareness, that inner aloneness, that our lives will flower".


Kafka said: "You need not leave your room.  Remain sitting at your table and listen.  You need not even listen, simply wait, just learn to become quiet and still and solitary.  The world will freely offer itself to you unmasked.  It has no choice; it will roll in ecstasy at your feet".  Or what about Picasso who said, "Without great solitude, no serious work is possible."

And then in the words of Gertrude Stein, "When they are alone they want to be with others and when they are with others they want to be alone.  After all, human beings are like that."










Comments

  1. I very much like this quote from Ester Buchholz (whose name I adore: "wood book"): "Solitude is required for the unconscious to process and unravel problems." I do think that for some, courage is required in order to be alone long enough for knowledge to bubble up from within--knowledge that may be uncomfortable to receive--but for others, myself included, solitude is the food that feeds the soul, mind and body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hannah,
    Appreciate your thoughts. Not sure I understand what 'wood book" means.

    Solitude is that for me as well..food that feeds the soul, mind and body.
    I very much enjoyed visiting your website!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful post and art work...so glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laura. I appreciate this and much enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janice--About the phrase "wood book:--I was translating Ester's last name "Buchholz" from the german: buch=book and holz=wood. I thought it was fun considering that she had also written a book:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A day alone, unplugged, rolls along swimmingly when I am in the studio. I have not yet done a week. AS an extrovert, I know it would have a push and a pull, as I need to bounce things off of someone from time to time...I enjoyed reading your experience of the week alone and unplugged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if courage is to follow your heart, i assume it is what you did to set up your solitary retreat. you followed your hearts longing thus were courageous. i think sometimes just to get up each morning and embark on a new day is courageous. In fact, for many in the world it is, those who live in war zones, those who havent enough food, those who live in sad and abusive situations or who face a day of illness and pain.

    Or even just those who arise and say hello today, what will you bring to me and for me and then launch forth into the day, courageous.

    havent heard anyone quote Paul Tillich or even mention him since my 60's college days.

    Thanks for the tip on the Call of Solitude book.

    ps i had that Kafka quote written out on an index card and affixed to the wall above my desk for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sukipoet,

    What a wonderful response to my post. You are right about 'courageous". I was limiting the word. Thanks for your beautiful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this grat thoughtful post, very encouraging to search some time for yourself.This is so important if you aim to be creative.
    I always notice that most of my ideas come when I'm walking through nature with my dogs. Or before falling asleep at night. "Stealing" little lonesome moments...
    Your artwork is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the Owners of a Scottish Castle

Anne Tristine Nguyen, Ali Orr Ewing, their children, Ava, Atticus and  their dog, Harriet Beecher Stowe. Dunskey Estate, Portpatrick, Scotland Anne Tristine Nguyen and her husband, Alistair Orr Ewing are the owners of Dunskey Estate near Portpatrick, Scotland where I will teach a painting workshop in September. Dunskey is a splendid Edwardian castle on 2000 acres of ocean-front land with miles of walking trails. As well as daily workshop sessions in the studio on the top floor of the castle, our small group of artists will enjoy breathtaking hikes, superb accommodation and fabulous meals.  Not having met owners of a castle before, I asked Anne if I could interview her to hear a little of their background story and that of the castle. Can you tell me a little of your personal story and that of your husband, Alistair Orr Ewing? Anne emigrated to America when she was ten years old, but it was at an art gallery in Saigon, her birthplace, where she met Al

The Importance of Silence in Art

Gathering Light 60x60"  Oil on canvas © 2014 Janice Mason Steeves  Michael David Rosenberg, the musician known as Passenger, sings, "See all I need is a whisper in a world that only shouts." In the workshops I teach, I find that one of the most common problems with paintings is that they shout. Most have too much going on: too many small shapes, too much texture, extremes of colour, too many lines, too much, too much. One thing I say most often as I walk around the classroom working with students individually, is 'make bigger shapes'.  But not only bigger shapes. Quiet shapes.  Where can your eye go and rest in the painting? That isn't a consideration in much of contemporary painting or much of contemporary life.  Ours is a noisy world both visually and auditorily.  Ours is a world that shouts.  People are afraid of silence. I wrote a blog post  3 years ago about planning a retreat in my own home, where I shut off the computer and the phon

Lessons that Stone Walls Teach

Dry stone wall in the Burren, Co. Clare, Ireland   I've just returned from teaching a Workshop in Wild Places class in the Burren in County Clare, Ireland. Writing this post, I'm reminded of another post I wrote after visiting Inishmaan, the middle of the Aran Islands off the west coast of Ireland several years ago. Stone walls crisscrossed the island in tight webs like a fisherman's net. I wrote then that the web of stone walls made me think of the idea of putting limitations on our painting as a way of exploring more deeply and how walls give limits against the limitless. You can read that article   here. As our group hiked in the Burren with our guide, Marie McGauran we learned that the walls are stronger because of the holes in them. The wind can pass through. The oldest stone walls, estimated to be 3500 years old are at Skara Brae, a Neolithic site in Orkney. Most walls were built in the 18th and 19th century, marking areas of private ownership and resulting in poverty